Saturday 2 August 2014

Every day is a school day


Gotta love a mince through the Tenderloin in SF. I'll admit we stand out like a couple of impossibly naive-looking tourists, but that doesn't seem to bother some of the more eccentric residents. This week, we walked past a guy swaggering his way through a verse of Rumpshaker (choon!) before stopping dead and bending double to flamboyantly address a used sugar packet on the pavement with "Oh my, is that Mary Jane?"

I found this fucking hilarious and totally random, until I thought that maybe Mary Jane was slang for something. Lo - a quick internet search revealed that it is the literal translation of the word Marijuana of spanish origin (Maria Joanna = Mary Jane). Well, I learned something new, and I guess that his statement makes a little more sense, though as the Lad points out, he was still loudly singing early 90s hip hop and talking to an empty sugar packet.  Drugs are bad, kids, m'kay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment