Thursday 30 January 2014

Dr Johnsons' word of the day




- Oh, hai, I'm Dwayne 'the Rock' Johnson, and this here is my pal, Dr Samuel 'I wrote the dictionary' Johnson.






 
 



S'up? -



- Grasping the intricacies of the Northern American dialect can sometimes be a challenge for visiting Brits, so Sammy and I are here to educate you in a series we're calling:

Dr Johnsons' word of the day*




 



Hey D, are you a real Doc? -









- Leave it, bro.







 


Really? Legit? -










- I said leave it!







 



Geez. -








 - Anyway, for your edification and delight, today's word is:

com·fort·er
noun
Basically, a duvet, but comforters often come all brightly coloured with the expectation that you'll use it without a cover (ew). You can buy duvets (the cheapest and best are found in Ikea), but if you want to source some online you'll need to look for 'duvet insert', because, apparently, (mistakenly) the 'duvet' is the bit on the outside, and the 'duvet insert' is the big fluffy thing full of feathers. Nope, but I guess I'll have to play by your rules, America.
Join us again soon for another exciting foray into American-English.


* Not in any way endorsed by THE Dwayne Johnson. Or Samuel Johnson for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment