Thursday 16 April 2015

Pee 'n' peep

British toilet humor is legendary, if misunderstood. I was weened on bum jokes and, I'm pleased to see that this generation is still being entertained by Dick and Dom shouting bogies loudly in public spaces. We are a nation that is proud of our ablutions. With that in mind we don't really want to enjoy these moments with our nearest and dearest, or indeed complete strangers (well, some of us do, but there are special websites for people like that).

Maybe thats why all the public toilets I have visited in the US seem to have ill-fitting doors to allow me to see all the ladies in the queue, and walls that barely disguise the fact that I'm squatting over the porcelain, so everyone knows exactly what stage I'm at. Maybe Americans simply don't find this amusing and therefore not embarrassing or even noteworthy, so it matters not a jot that there is no privacy in the most private of moments. Maybe, as I have been informed, it makes sense to keep the space as light and airy as possible to help dispense with gross smells.

Whatevs. I have made it my mission to make eye contact with anyone outside of my cubicle while I am mid-peep. Thats clearly what is expected.

de4ctivate.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment